With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch and are growing and scaling the company from London, UK.
As a complex marketplace platform with a strong focus on data, we have many interesting and challenging opportunities to gain insight from this data.
We are looking for a Data Scientist who will support our leadership, product and growth teams with insights gained from analyzing Prolific's data. The ideal candidate will be expert at using large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
You should have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations.
You will turn the research data you collect into clear findings that inform decisions and solutions, and communicate these across the team and to drive improvements.
You will also mentor other team members on these techniques, including our other data analysts.
Together with the rest of our team you will work towards these key goals:
- Using a systems thinking approach, understand and model the systems involved in Prolific's platform and how best to optimize them.
- Analyze what drives the growth of our platform and what is the best allocation of resources in order to improve this growth.
- Implement the best set of tools, techniques and processes for collecting, managing and analyzing data at Prolific.
This will likely involve some or all of the following:
- Analyze key growth metrics, retention, stickiness, churn over time and determine causal links between product changes and growth.
- Work closely with management and use data to influence key decisions and help our startup grow quickly.
- Statistically analyze large data sets (millions of rows) and draw robust conclusions from these data with the understanding that large data sets are messy, and it is easy to draw incorrect conclusions from these data if our analyzes are not robust.
- Knowledge of SQL for modelling, accessing and processing data from a data warehouse
- Disseminate the key information to the whole organization in written reports and summaries, which highlight the key insights you’ve gained and which are easily interpretable and actionable.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Mine and analyze data to drive optimization and improvement of product development, marketing techniques and business strategies.
- Use predictive modelling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes.
- Develop company A/B testing framework and test model quality.
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
You will have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years experience in a data science role.
- Understanding of and experience at a high-growth startup.
- Understanding of scientific research and research practices or an interest in learning about the research space and research practices.
Nice to have:
- Understanding of systems thinking.
- Experience of marketplace platforms.
What we offer:
- Meaningful equity allocation and salary depending on experience.
- Employee stock options scheme.
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Flexible hours: We have core hours of 10am - 3pm (with an hour for lunch), but the rest is up to you.
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays (which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- Budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.