With Prolific, we're changing how research on the internet is done. Katia and Phelim started by building a marketplace that connects researchers (from both Academia and industry) with instant, high quality, global research participants. Now, as a growing team of 17, the bigger vision is to build the most powerful and trusted platform for behavioral research.
Our two-sided marketplace and ambitious growth plans come with many challenges around growth and sales. For example, how can we best acquire more customer leads in our target market (behavioral/user/market researchers in Academia and industry)? How can we achieve that they understand our product's value add and are converted into paying customers?
We've recently been part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch and have decided to grow and scale the company from London, UK.
You will be our first business development hire, so you will help set the foundation for our future team. As a result, it's key that you can work flexibly across different business development and sales processes. The ideal candidate will have business development experience in a high-growth startup and an interest in research. As part of our Growth Team you will work towards these key goals:
- Identify market opportunities, develop relationships, leads and partners
- Establish, lead, and implement inbound sales strategy and processes.
- Help develop and implement a sales strategy and process for institutional/group accounts.
- Effectively partner and work across our Growth, Product, and Support Teams to suggest new opportunities for growth.
Concretely, this role will involve the following activities:
- Learn how Prolific works from the ground up and help set the foundation for our future Sales Team.
- Develop a clear understanding of our market, competitors, positioning and opportunities.
- Establish and lead our inbound sales process, including contacting inbound leads, qualifying them as prospects, educating prospects about our product and scheduling demos or meetings to close the leads.
- Help establish outbound sales process for Prolific to identify new leads and convert them into customers.
- Help identify new opportunities among existing customers and develop account intelligence.
- Ensure successful follow through of sales cycle by maintaining accurate activity and lead qualification information in CRM application.
- Identify and develop potential partners, revenue, and growth opportunities.
- Effectively partner and work across our Growth, Product, and Support teams to develop account intelligence, relationship maps, and use case opportunities through direct account engagement and insight tools.
- Develop promotional strategies and activities with the marketing department.
- Help as needed to build awareness on special projects and events.
- Disseminate key information to the entire organization in written reports and summaries, which highlights key insights you’ve gained, and are easily interpretable and actionable.
You will have:
- 3+ years experience in a business development role, ideally at a high-growth startup.
- A strong sense of urgency for reaching goals and key deliverables.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills across a variety of channels (email, social media, phone, etc.).
- Good commercial sense.
- Interest in research, psychology, behavioral science, or similar.
- Excitement to work for an early-stage, fast-growing startup.
What we offer:
- Salary: negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
- Employee stock options scheme.
- Pension (employer contribution 3% of base salary).
- Flexible working: Work equipment of your choice (paid for by us), and you can work flexibly from home or from our coworking space (also paid for by us).
- Flexible hours: We have core hours of 10am - 3pm (with an hour for lunch), but the rest is up to you.
- Childcare flexibility: Need to pick your child up from school? No problem.
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays (which you can switch with your religious holiday).
- Budget for education, growth, and training.
- Personal growth opportunities and career progression (e.g., learn about the startup ecosystem, mentoring from executive team, learn about psychological science and research methods).
- Open, transparent, and inclusive culture.
- A company committed to carbon offsetting: we donate money in your name each month to plant trees and we offset travel as an organization each year.
- Generous maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.